Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Netflix, I love you really, but...Part Two


I left off with more suggestions for Netflix, so I’m not going to waste more time with an introduction, let’s get right to it.

An issue I have with having instant is the lack of knowledge to what is appearing to view on instant and what was taken away. If I have a movie or TV show in my queue, online I can see about two weeks prior that I will be losing the movie or TV show. I have noticed Netflix seems to add/take away on the 1st and 15th of the month. While they do have a recently added section, some items stay on the list for a couple months, and they get inner mixed with new items, so it can make it tough to figure out if it’s something new, or I forgot was already available.

Therefore, Netflix should revamp an existing section, and make a couple new sections as well. First, revamp recently added. Next add a section called recently removed and a coming soon section.

Recently added should be revamped to include a drop down. The drop down should go to the dates when major content was added, such as the 1st and 15th when they tend to add/take away movies. So I can see just what was added on those dates without overlapping from previous release dates.

A new section called recently removed should be viewable. Many times I swore a movie or show was on instant but I cannot find it, when the movie or show was recently removed and I wasn’t aware of it. Similar to the revamped recently added, a date drop down to view the removal dates to see what movies or shows recently were taken away from instant.

The third section is coming soon. Netflix knows what movies it will be able to release to instant, on DVD queues they put a date next to the title a couple weeks prior. So why not have a section showing what is coming to instant. Similar to the prior two, have a drop down for each big release dates. Knowing what will be released in the coming months can get current subscribers enthused about what’s to come instead of them being released and play the game of figure out what’s new.

I’ll touch briefly on the auto play option they have going for instant viewers on the web. It actually is a nice idea. To continue watching one episode after another without having to select the next one is great for the lazy person. I know they plan to release the option to all the game systems, Wii, PS3, X-box. I know one has it already, I just can’t remember which one. I have the Wii, and I know that the option isn’t available, and will be grateful when it comes. The wife and I do have marathon runs of shows occasionally, and not having to constantly pick up the remote to start the next episode can save on battery life. The only important thing is to have an option to turn off the feature. I have seen plenty of people hoping for this feature and it does make sense to offer such.

No I am not done with Netflix. I have one more large suggestion to add to the list. I think the length of the last suggestion will be quite sizable that I want to extent it to a third part of this series. As of right now, I don’t think that there will be a fourth part to my suggestions, but it’s hard to say right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment